Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Nick Jonas: ‘Anything is possible, even with Diabetes’




The Jonas Brothers are putting their rock star fame towards a great cause, one that is very close to their hearts.
The Jonas Brothers partnered with Bayer Diabetes Care to send some encouragement to youth that with Diabetes. They were also there to spread awareness on diabetes, the disease that Nick was diagnosed with at the age of only 13.
Nick told People magazine, “I thought, ‘Why me?’ I didn’t know how to handle it”. After experiencing sudden and dramatic weight loss and behavioral changes, the pop-rock star was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in late 2005.
“I didn’t know anyone with diabetes,” stated Nick, “ There was no familiar face in music or sports that I could connect with…I started to see it as an opportunity to be an inspiration to a generation that doesn't openly talk about having diabetes and not feeling embarrassed by the disease."
Having Diabetes means that Nick has to check his blood sugar levels whenever it is necessary, even if that means checking it while performing. “At a concert a couple of days ago Nick had a low onstage," said his big brother Kevin, 20. "He said, 'I need a second to stall,' so I kept talking [to the audience] until he gave us the sign that he was O.K."
What is Nick’s main message to others, "To be able to live my dream by being in a band shows that anything is possible," he said. "Even if you have diabetes." While Nick does have a disease that there is currently no cure for he does have the love and support of family and fans.

No comments: